St. John's Episcopal Church Youth
St. John's Youth is a group of teenagers, grades 6-12, and lay adult leaders who come together regularly for worship, outreach, discipleship and fellowship at St. John's Episcopal Church in Tallahassee, Florida.
Sunday Mornings – Spring Sunday School Classes resumed on January 8. Sunday School classes begin at 10:15 a.m. and run until 11:00 a.m. Both the Middle School and High School classes study how the Gospel reading each Sunday are applicable to daily life.
Confirmation classes began January 8 for 9th-12th grade students who are interested in learning more about their faith and desire to affirm the vows in their baptismal covenant. Classes meet weekly on Sunday mornings from 10:30am-12:30pm. There will also be a Class Retreat and Service Project. Confirmation Sunday is April 23, 2017.
Sunday Evenings – This Spring we meet twice a month as a large youth group community. One Sunday of the month will be community service-based activities and one Sunday evening of the month will be fellowship-based. Each time we gather we will learn how our faith can be a part of our everyday life through play, worship, and service. Mark these dates on your calendar!
- January 8 – Fellowship Night: All Things New
- January 29 – Community Service Night: Visit Westminster Oaks
- February 12 – Fellowship Night: Fear Factor Games
- February 26 – Community Service Night: College Care Packages
- March 5 – Fellowship Night: Life-Size Clue
- March 26 – Community Service Night: Random Acts of Kindness
- April 9 – Fellowship Night: Visit Children at TMH
- May 7 – End of Year PARTY!
Serving in Worship – At St. John’s youth are very active in Sunday Worship. If you are interested in singing in the choir, please contact Betsy Calhoun (Betsy@saint-john.org). If you are interested in acolyting, please contact Emily Barrow (email@example.com) and if you would like to train to read the lessons in church, please contact Beth DuMond (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Special Events – Youth can also participate in these annual or semi-annual offerings that will take place this spring! Each is a great opportunity to grow in fellowship with each other and with God.
- Diocesan Events - Breakout - March 11-12 (4-5 grades), Happening #134 - April 28-30 (9-12 grades)
- B.E.A.T. Week - June 5-9, 2017 - BEAT stands for Being Extraordinary Around Tallahassee. This is a week of local community outreach open to all youth, grades 6-12, in the area.
- VBS Week - June 26-30, 2017 - Youth are always great helpers at this week of fun for our younger children. In the past they have been storytellers, teacher assistants, and group leaders.
- Youth Mission Trip to Cuba - July 15-23, 2017 - We will return to our sister parish in Zorrilla, Cuba to help with VBS, work projects, and strengthen friendships this summer. Open to rising 9 graders and older.
For more information on these events or St. John’s Youth Ministry,
please contact Caroline Williams Allen at 850-222-2636 ext. 15 or Caroline@saint-john.org